1.28.2013

Baby Shower Present - "Rachel" Painting



I love painting for kids' rooms!!!  I have learned a bit about painting doing them, and had tons of fun.  Here's one I did a few days ago for a lovely young lady at church who is expecting in March.  Her darling little girl will be named Rachel, and I went with something very simple even though that is not what I had planned.

I started out with an 18"x24" canvas, already primed.  I picked a font from MyFonts, a fairy tale font I thought made her name look pretty and adorable.  The font is Blue Goblet Serif, and I love it.  It is a little too spaced out, so I took tracing paper and traced the letters, bunching them up a bit.  Then I doodled flowers and vines coming off the letters.  Once I was done, I used my Artograph Tracer Projector (got it a Hobby Lobby 40% off) to project the words onto the canvas in pencil.  I used the tracing paper under the projector, which was a big mistake.  I started to notice my words were shifting around as I traced, and finally figured out it was because the tracing paper was wrinkling up from the heat off the bulb of the projector.


I usually start painting at this point, but the white has a tendency to show through the brush strokes and the pencil is hard to cover.  I decided to try something different with this painting.  I painted a base coat of khaki colored paint over my sketch thin enough so I could still see the lines of the drawing underneath.



Painting, painting, more painting..




Pretty pink letters.




Overworked it - drat!




Fixing my mistakes.




 And done!  Not the best picture unfortunately.  Glad to have it done, and I am happy with the result.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like an outstanding baby shower details. Thanks for the details. I also would be hosting the baby shower for my cousin at one of the local San Francisco venues. It was a blasting evening and we played "truth and dare" (the funky version) and it was super stunning idea that made our bash super enjoyable and fun.

    ReplyDelete