2.26.2014

Wednesday Work in Progress - Owl Doodle Mandala



I've been working on this one for a while now, and I thought I would share it.  Maybe it will help me get to work on the completion of this particular mandala, this giant of a project.  Please excuse the image quality, I really need a better lens!

Here is a detail shot of the pencil drawing I start off with.


Once everything is penciled in, I work on outlining everything with my Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pen (.25 mm), then fill the lines in with a bigger pen (.30 or .50, depending on what I have to fill).  Here's the outline.


And about a third of the mandala completed.  I do much better when I outline the whole thing, then fill lines.  My lines are more even when I do.  But I often can't wait to see what the sections look like and go ahead and fill them one section at a time.  


Here's the whole piece.  It's on a 19x24 piece of Bristol, and it is the biggest mandala I have ever attempted.  That's probably the reason it sits on my piano, only 1/3 done, waiting for me to make time to finish it.  

   
Soon I'll have this one done, and I will be sure to post the finished piece.

1 comment: