A couple of years back my grandmother got me a vintage sewing machine desk from a thrift store. It is very functional; it stores my sewing machine when not in use and holds all types of supplies. But it wasn't very pretty. So I had this idea that I would paint it. At first I thought I would paint waves on it, but my dining room has changed into my art room and I wanted something more colorful. Instead of practicing on a canvas and planning, I just went for it.
I had a base coat of spray paint that was dark blue for the original wave idea. I thought I would add some crackle paint and paint a coat of white over it. It worked well enough until I started painting details over the crackle finish. It just peeled off. The crackle paint did not adhere properly to the spray paint, and I had to scrape the entire thing. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!
Here it is in the process of being scraped down.
The terrible mess it made in my floor.
With a coat of gesso and the back of it painted black.
I have learned a lot from my mistake, mainly to plan, practice, to take the time to do it right. I am practicing on canvas right now and learning to paint, repaint, and experiment. Something I may not have learned if I had not made this little mistake. I think crackle paint would have been boring, now I am in the middle of a bright and beautiful painting that I am pleased with. I am also very happy with my canvases, and will share them with you in the next few days. And I will also be sharing some more work in progress shots of this desk.